The European Chemical Industry Council (Cefic), in conjunction with the Association of European Toxicologists and European Societies of Toxicology (EUROTOX), the Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC), the International Society of Exposure Sciences (ISES) and Chemical Week, is offering a €100,000 award to support promising new research in the field of exposure sciences.
The award will be presented to an early career scientist with a concept for creative interdisciplinary research. This could for example include exposure assessment methods using novel approaches and/or tools; innovative concepts for interpreting exposure data; or strengthening the aspects of exposure in risk assessment.
The research should be complementary to the Long-range Research Initiative’s (LRI) objectives, a chemical industry funded programme that aims at enhancing scientific knowledge to help protect health and the environment.
The award is intended for a European-based scientist with less than ten years post-doctoral experience. Active involvement in interdisciplinary research and access to appropriate networks will be considered in the selection.
The competition covers the broad field of exposure sciences directed at the impacts for humans, including but not limited to:
- evaluating exposures to mixtures (both from preparations and in multi-component environments)
- characterising the nature of exposures from combined exposures (chemical, biological or physical stressors)
- improved strategies for the interpretation of monitoring data
- exposure analysis of environmental contaminants
- determining the contribution of different exposure routes
- consumer exposures in indoor environments
- real life exoposure scenarios
- indirect exposures to humans from environmental sources
- predictive exposure and computational exposure sciences
- priotity will be given to research that seeks to integrate environmental and human exposure
Official launch 20 November 2008
Deadline for applications 15 March 2009
Selection panel first round 6 April 2009
Deadline for detailed applications for 8 finalists 29 April 2009
Selection panel second round 20 May 2009
Finalists oral presentations and award 4 June 2009
For more information check our website http://www.cefic-lri.org or email email@example.com
Travel expenses to Brussels for finalists will be covered by Cefic.